Denver Christians Extend Learning Services
Reaching Each Child Where They Are Today
At Denver Christian School, we strive to help each child succeed upon the path that God has put in front of him or her. That’s why we invest our time, treasure and talent into developing a truly leading Extend Learning Services that works in partnership with classroom teachers to raise awareness of, and respond to, the full range of student learning. This effort strengthens children’s educational experience by providing opportunities to meet the needs of each student in relation to the classroom experience.
The Extend Learning Service at Denver Christian School works in partnership with classroom teachers and parents to raise awareness of and respond to the range of our students’ learning needs at both ends of the learning spectrum. The Extend teacher team collaborates with grade-level classroom teachers to identify and respond to the needs of all learners throughout all of the grade levels helping to bring them up and/or push them ahead.
Students may receive Extend Learning services in a variety of settings, including small groups, one-on-one and within the regular classroom. The current Denver Christian curriculum forms the basis for all Extend Learning Services.
Benefits to students include:
- Improved academic performance,
- Increased time and attention from teachers,
- Increased emphasis on social skills, and
- Improved classroom communities.
All students enrolled at Denver Christian benefit from our Extend team through the following services:
- Small group meetings to provide academic support and enrichment
- Regular consultation with classroom teachers on strategic ways to implement a differentiated approach to learning in the classroom
- Support to students who may require academic accommodations due to illness, family crisis etc.
- Entrance Testing / Evaluation
- Standardized Testing (MAP, PSAT, ACT, Advanced Placement)
- Teacher support and training on MAP scores, goal setting, differentiation
- The Extend Team helps classroom teachers to equip students with critical thinking skills, study skills and strategies for success
- Facilitation of tutoring placement for lessons, or units
- Facilitation of enrichment and/or support for small groups
Differentiated instruction is what we offer. Denver Christian School’s Extend Learning Service provides students with multiple avenues to acquire content, process ideas or demonstrate knowledge. Our Extend teachers develop materials and activities so that students within a classroom can learn effectively regardless of differences in ability. By “scaffolding” the learning process, students can engage with material at their current level of ability, but are also challenged to increasing levels of achievement and learning.
Differentiation enable teachers to improve instruction in the following ways:
- Responding to their students’ diverse learning styles,
- Applying current brain research findings,
- Designing appropriate assessments,
- Fostering intrinsic motivation, and
- Developing the unique talent of all learners.
Extend teachers collaborate with classroom teachers in designing and implementing the strategies of differentiated instruction.
Research-based assessment tools: Extend uses research-based instruments to assess student progress. These instruments may include, but not limited to, the following:
- Woodcock-Johnson III Psycho-Educational Battery,
- Conners 3 rating scales by Multi-Health Systems,
- Measures of Academic Progress (MAP),
- Dynamic Indicators of Basic Early Literacy Skills (DIBELS),
- Qualitative Reading Inventory (QRI-5), and
- Elements of Response to Intervention (RtI)
DC provides support and limited classroom accommodations, dependent on the specific needs of the individual. Accommodations may include but are not limited to, small-group curricular support, extra time on tests, note-taking support, preferential seating, study skills reinforcement, test preparation and a structured study hall environment. Specific documentation is required to receive accommodations.